Saturday, November 01, 2014

I Went and Got Snarky. Oops.



I've got this lady on Facebook who uploads close to 40 photos a day of her two children. Half of them are the same, just different expressions. The other half show all kinds of new things they get daily. Toys, hair clips/headbands, a scooter, a helmet, running shoes, a dress, clothes etc. It's extremely excessive.

I'm sure you know the kind of people I'm talking about.

This morning I went on Facebook to find yet another forty-something photos added to her "Halloween 2014" album. I couldn't help but comment:

"WOW!! Halloween?? ....Christmas must of come early at your place! This girl gets new stuff every day! She has tons of frozen stuff! Lol and i thought Leah was spoiled. She's one extremely lucky girl."
 
Snarky? A little.
Rude? Maybe.
Necessary? No, not really.

Her photos and the obscene amount of things she gets given is just annoying. It's compulsive. It's extreme. And frankly, there's no need of it. I don't usually like to stir things up and cause drama but this is just plain irritating. I mean, I like to get Leah new things. A new toy here and there or a trip to the corner store to pick out some goodies, but I don't go full out nuts. 
Yeah, sometimes it's exciting, getting to re-live some childhood fun, buying new toys, but when is it enough?

Christmas for example, Leah usually gets spoiled. My family sends a package for her with presents, my mom usually has a mini Christmas over at her place for her, then "Santa" comes, and Boxing Day we are usually with Matt's family who gives her a little something too. Her birthday is just a week later so maybe its just the incredible amount of "stuff" that December brings. 
 
Anyways, I'm going to admit, half of what she gets given she barely plays with. It sits in her room or in the basement not getting played with. Maybe some kids play with everything that they've been given but my daughter doesn't. She's not a home-body though either...she spends a lot of time outside.

But how in the world can the kids even find time to play with all that stuff? I find its just a waste. A waste of money and space.

This whole situation reminded me of this scripture:

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21 
 
Why not use that money to put into a savings account or just put aside for their schooling? Or use it to buy something for a child whose family can't afford it.

This year we are filling a shoebox with some things like hygiene items, school supplies, toys, and candy. It gets sent to hurting children around the world. You can find out more about here. I'm looking forward to spreading the love of God and teaching Leah all about the joy in giving. I would rather her be more glad to give than to get.

That's a hard characteristic to come across.
 

"Genuine generosity gives because it is right, because you have something to give, because you desire God to be glorified, because you love people! When you give expecting you will get, that’s selfish, immature and falls far short of the mark of godly generosity."

No comments:

Post a Comment